Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Mission Idea?



            One of my favorite quotes was given by Joseph B. Wirthlin says, ““Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays. But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come. No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come.” This quote had never had so much meaning in my life until this semester away from home. Everyone struggles with keeping their testimony burning strong especially when the guidance of their parents is no longer there one hundred percent of the time. I was struggling with choosing the good choices over the best choices. Little did I know the great experience that would alter this to make me work to be not just a better person, but also a better example of Jesus Christ.
After I really began to pray about making better decisions in my life, it became harder for me to make those distinctions. As General Conference approached I really was searching for answers to give me a purpose of betterment. The night before conference I was in a huge group of friends enjoying myself when I felt the sudden urge to pray. To really pray. Not the prayer that you think, but the prayer from the heart, and the prayer that I knew my Heavenly Father had to have guidance for. I snuck away for what felt like a short few moments but somehow it turned into a lifetime of preparation waiting on that single prayer. I asked for guidance on the next choice in my life, the next step, and the next chapter.
Little did I know that morning, was announced the lowering of the Missionary age. Shocked, and a little bewildered, I was in tears of joy, sorrow, and every emotion a human being can feel. How could I deny such an evident response from my father in heaven? For the next several weeks I intently prayed and studied such talks as “Keeping Covenants: A Message For Those Who Will Serve A Mission”, given by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, and “Zion is the Pure in Heart”, by Elaine S. Dalton.  These talk’s both had inspiring things that touched my heart deeply and helped me make not just a good decision, but more of the best choice I could ever hope to make. These talks helped me see my divine role, and the power that I have, and the influence that I can bear as a witness of Christ. I already see the power that, that holds in my life through past experiences with friends, and with family. I will not deny myself the opportunity to serve my brothers and sisters when I have been given so much. I am starting my mission papers over Christmas and hope to be out around May. Life has been extremely wonderful, and I have been blessed beyond measure, and I am so grateful for the opportunity that this experience has given me. Hur-ray for the power of the spirit.
Elaine. S. Dalton

No comments:

Post a Comment