Friday, October 18, 2013

A simple Decision

 As I sit here my mind and heart are struggling with what to write that can help those who need the message of the gospel. The one thing that keeps coming back to me is a simple example I saw yesterday. My companion and I were out tracking in a near by trailer park. The first door we knocked on was an old woman. As she opened the door a rush of smoke came outside and greeted us.  We both felt as though we could hardly breath with the thickness of her cigarettes in the home. We continued talking with this woman and soon found out that it was her birthday. We wished her happy birthday and we were on our way. My companion looked at me and said, " Hermana Allen, I feel like we should buy her flowers, since its her birthday."  I looked at her and was thinking, why? We hardly know this woman, why do you feel that way?  She responded with, "tracking isn't about knocking, and knocking on as many doors that you can find. Its about finding opportunities to serve when you least expect them. This is one of those opportunities hermana."    I was very shocked and confused at first. But we went and  bought some simple flowers and a small card and we wrote, " We thought that every girl deserves flowers on her birthday, no matter her age!"
 We went back to the home within 20 minutes of first being there, and knocked once again. She looked happily surprised as my companion handed her the flowers saying, " Happy birthday!!"
 
Now I think about the great example that was. Finding time, out of our way, not planned and doing service. Simple flowers. A simple decision. A simple choice brought someone a great deal of happiness.  Please find some time this week, out of your way to do a simple service.  You will feel a great deal of love for your fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment